||Our contribution to the development of science
About activities and the main priorities of the Center of System Analysis and Strategic Research of the National Academy of Sciences of Belarus is a public legal entity and it is governed by the Academy of Sciences.
Analysis and strategy are in the center of attention
The main purpose of the Center of System Analysis and Strategic Research of the National Academy of Sciences of Belarus is the scientific support for economic, social and state-legal development of our country. Acting Director of the establishment, candidate of economic sciences, Sergei Maratovich Dedkov describes how it is implemented.
- Sergei Maratovich, can you tell us what spheres of activities does your organization cover?
- These spheres can be described by three big blocks: research on current theoretical issues, analytical and information support for the activities of the Presidium of the National Academy of Sciences of Belarus, as well as make recommendations for improving the forms and methods of public management of social and economic processes in the country. Research is held in the field of macro-and microeconomics, the theory of science, theory and practice of innovation. Significant segment is for legal studies. Legal studies include monitoring of national and foreign laws in scientific, technological and innovation areas. Within the scientific support for the High Tech Park the directions of optimization of normative legal documents are prepared.
Our researches are not limited by specific scientific fields, many of them are interdisciplinary. For example, for more than three years an interdisciplinary team of scientists has worked at the Center. Among them there have been economists, sociologists, linguists. As a result of their project "High Tech" it was created an original technique for assessing creative potential and competency of employees of scientific organizations in the field of innovation.
- Over a five-year history of the establishment, definitely, you have some experience...
- There are results of research on such actual issues as the analysis of macroeconomic policies and new approaches to the formation of innovative activity in the country. Problems of technological, economic and information security are worked at.
More applied problems are solved in the framework of the monitoring system of innovation of the Academy of Sciences and in the framework of the mechanisms to strengthen its effectiveness. The importance we attach with the use of modern technologies in the practice of planning and management of research and innovation processes.
- How is realized a strategic component of your work?
- With the active participation of the Center it was developed the Draft Concept of Scientific Development in the Republic of Belarus for the period up to 2015. Currently, monitoring of social and economic, scientific and innovation activities at the Academy is conducted in accordance with the Program of Social and Economic, Scientific and Innovative Development of the NAS of Belarus for 2006-2010. The Program, in its final version, was too formed at our Center.
In the past year, together with Akademeksportinvest we have prepared a draft strategy of efficiency improvement of the export capacity of academic institutions.
It should be mentioned that the staff of the Center is rather actively published. On their account, there are more than 170 scientific publications.
- Success of the Center is evident. Is there any specific organization of its work, that differs from other research institutions?
- In my opinion, the difference lies in the fact that, jointly with large theoretical and methodological work, employees have to bring under the techniques of scientific analysis that allow to make researches just in time. As a rule researches are commissioned by the Government and the Administration of the President of the Republic of Belarus, and by the Presidium of the National Academy of Sciences of Belarus. Moreover, this "time", is usually no more than a week, but it is a requirement of modern dynamics of development, with which we have be in line. How the Center copes? First of all, it is decided by highly skilled employees in our structure. Currently there are 25 employees, 8 of them have scientific degree. Among them there are economists, lawyers, linguists, historians, experts in the field of technical sciences and ecology. Such a variety of scientific interests makes it possible to resolve not only the most complicated problems, but if it is necessary to attract the best professionals in any field to solve problems. It is one of the specialties of the Center to solve many scientific and analytical tasks in close cooperation with other institutions of the Academy of Sciences by collecting data and opinions of many scientists and experts, their analysis and generalization. In other words, we use means of scientific organization, that in modern management science are called "network" means.
We have established close contacts with the Institutes of Economics and Sociology, with almost all Science Departments, also with the Department of Innovation and Analytical Work of NASB, and with other subdivisions of the Presidium. Average month salary is about 1 million rubles per month, and ratio between chief and employee’s salaries is about 2,7. In my opinion it is a good indicator.
- What were the spheres of research results during the work of the Center?
- For the Republican government there were developed proposals for a strategy of development of free economic zones in Belarus, the materials on the effectiveness of the foreign capital’s attraction into the bank sector, the analysis of the consequences after the including of the Republic to the Kyoto Protocol, scientific and analytical information about the macroeconomic policy of our country at the moment and at the future and many others. Every quarter the results of realization of the social, economic and innovation development program of Belarus are analyzed. Regularly analytical materials for the sessions of the General Assembly of the Academy of Sciences are prepared.
In the sphere of macro-and microeconomics great influence on the work of the Center has the President of the Academy Myasnikovich Michail Vladimirovich. All the issues are attentively analyzed by him. After this he develops conceptual solutions and formulate concrete proposals on social and economic development of our country.
- Are the Center developments demanded in the real sector of economy?
- Our main customers are the Presidium of NASB and republican bodies of state administration. However, the development of recommendations at macroeconomic level requires deep understanding of the processes at the level of enterprises. Therefore, employees of the Center pay great attention to cooperation with business entities. It should be mentioned that at this year the amount of works with economic contracts in relation to the size of budget financing is about 74,3%. The main directions are expertise and business planning.
According to the contract with the concern “Bellegprom” in 2007 there was developed the strategy for the development of the concern, that was highly estimated by the customer. Nowadays it is held a research of the wholesale market and there are worked out proposals for increasing efficiency of domestic economic entities trade at domestic and external markets for the Ministry of Trade. Also for the development of logistics in our country a set of competitive documents for the establishment of Transport and Logistics Center in free economic zone "Minsk" was developed. And it is not the end of the list.
- How do you estimate the work of the Center in the field of international scientific and technical cooperation and in the field of the formation of the united scientific and innovation space in the CIS countries?
-The Interacademic Council on the development of the Union State consists of distinguished scientists of the National Academy of Sciences of Belarus and the Russian Academy of Sciences, as well as representatives of the Standing Committee of the Union State. The Council was created to support more intensive cooperation of scientists in the CIS countries. The main directions of its activities are political, legal and sociological research in the field of economy and innovation, a number of specific humanitarian and technical sciences, international relations and globalization. In Belarus, the co-chairman of the Council is Academician Petr AlexandrovichVityaz. At the meetings of the Council some important problems are discussed. For example, how joining the WTO influences on the Union State countries, also modern forms of economic cooperation, problems of creation united scientific and innovative space and others.
However, it should be admitted that at the organization of joint research there are several problems. Funding for the Russian and Belorussian developments is not realized. Scientific researches are conducted, but they are still apart. The task of the Center jointly with the Russian Academy of Sciences is to develop proposals to improve the legal and institutional conditions for joint research. What concerns more traditional forms of international scientific and technical cooperation, the Center has signed agreements with the Moscow State Social University and the Research Center of Science and Technology Potential and History of Science of the Academy of Science of the Ukraine in the name of Dobrov G.M.
Are the young scientists that work at the Center are supported?
- The average age of staff is 43 years, that is lower than the average age for the Academy of Sciences. Two young employees studied part-time at graduate school BSEU and full-time at graduate school BSU. One of them is Maroushko Dmitry. He has recently successfully defended his thesis on the problems of becoming an information economy in Belarus. Our young scientists are appointed on chief positions. For example, Maroushko Dmitry heads Department of information and innovative services and foreign relations. Shchukin Alexandr heads Department of legal research and also he is the Chairman of the National Council of Young Scientists. This year we hired two graduates from Belarusian State University and Belarusian State Economic University in the field of law and international economic relations. So it should be said, that we have human resources, and we try to support young people by financial and moral stimulus.
- I guess that one of the priority forms of the Center’s work is cooperation with higher education exactly teaching at universities, students’ practice and employment, and joint research works.
- All of these forms, in my opinion, are extremely important. They are widely used in all organizations of the Academy of Sciences, but spontaneously. Usually it is used as a form of additional earnings by individual scientists. There is nothing wrong, but this situation doesn’t help for the fullest involvement of academic scientists in the field of education. The education system needs a closer and more systematic union with the academic elite of the country, including creation of joint databases, coordination of studies and the composition of the subjects that are taught.
Specialists in the field of national economy and managers must be able to receive regular information on the latest domestic and world science. On the other hand, if the scientists are involved to read lectures on the results of their research, they will have the opportunity to discuss their results in the audience of potential consumers. The benefit of this will be for all. Each year students from different Belarusian universities work on probation at the Center.